EdTech: Overcoming language barriers
A fundamental requirement for effective learning is to understand and be understood.
Inadequate language skills are a barrier at each stage of the learning journey.
This module looks at the ways technology can transform the learning experience and outcomes for ESOL learners and those who have difficulty with language, for example, learners with hearing loss.
This module shows you how to use digital technology to overcome language barriers.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- deploy digital media and software creatively to overcome language barriers for learners
- intervene to improve the learning outcomes for those for whom English is not a mother tongue or who have other difficulties with language.
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the EdTech component - F2 : Equality and diversity
- Address the special needs of individual learners (e.g. dyslexia, ADHD, overachievers) using digital technologies
- Allow for different learning pathways, levels and speeds when designing, selecting and implementing digital learning activities.
- Devise individual learning plans and use digital technologies to support these.
- Adapt communication strategies to the specific audience and be aware of cultural and generational diversity in digital environments
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
I like the way language barriers and accessibility issues have been merged together in this. I think it's also worth looking at tools like text to speech as well since many ESOL students have better understanding of aural English than written English - especially if they're from a language background that doesn't use Latin based left to write alphabets!
Some useful ideas as work with a hearing impaired student.
Login or signup to earn this badge!
Digital technology can provide new ways to help enable inclusive approaches to difference and diversity. This badge recognises that you are adopting new digital approaches.