EdTech: Accessibility and the law: Getting it right
Legislation for accessibility changed in a very positive way with The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations (2018). This module looks at how to stay on the right side of these regulations.
This module shows you the issues and implications of current legislation around accessibility.
After completing this module you will be able to:
- identify the key elements of the law regarding accessibility
- describe the implications for your teaching practice
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the EdTech component - F1 : Accessibility
- Provide equitable access to appropriate digital technologies and resources, e.g. ensuring that all learners have access to the digital technologies used.
- Select and use digital strategies which respond to the learner's digital context, e.g. contextual constraints to their technology use (e.g. availability, institutional restrictions - offender learning, work based learning), competences, expectations, attitudes, misconceptions and misuses.
- Use digital technologies and strategies, e.g. assistive technologies, designed for learners' in need of special support (e.g. learners with physical or mental constraints; learners with learning disorders).
- Consider and respond to potential accessibility issues when selecting, modifying or creating digital resources and to provide alternative or compensatory tools or approaches for learners with special needs.
- Use design principles for increasing accessibility for the resources and digital environments used in teaching.
- Continuously monitor and reflect on the suitability of the measures implemented to improve accessibility and adapt strategies accordingly.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Clear and simple to understand. Covers key points well. Useful further information.
This module, in the further reading section, highlighted resources I wasn't previously aware of.
highlighted some areas for me to work on
Very helpful refresher on latest legislation
Really impressed with Nibbler ( https://nibbler.silktide.com/ ) as a tool to review accessibility of a platform. I also felt that the module was effective in summarising the new accessibility compliance regulation. It helped me in drawing a basic plan of what I need to do by September 2020.
Login or signup to earn this badge!
This is the Leading stage, which recognises you have a high level of knowledge about accessibility and can start to guide and support peers.