What is assistive technology?
This module explores the range of accessibility assistance, from common mainstream software, apps and tools, through to the specialist or bespoke technology for complex individual needs, and its implications for teaching and learning practice.
This module shows you how what assistive technology is and the role it plays in lowering barriers to learning for its users.
After completing this module you will be able to:
- describe the affordances and requirements of the main forms of assistive technology
- adjust or supplement your teaching and learning practice and resources to support users of assistive technology
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the DTPF component - F1 : Accessibility
- Provide equitable access to appropriate digital technologies and resources, e.g. ensuring that all learners have access to the digital technologies used.
- Select and use digital strategies which respond to the learner's digital context, e.g. contextual constraints to their technology use (e.g. availability, institutional restrictions - offender learning, work based learning), competences, expectations, attitudes, misconceptions and misuses.
- Use digital technologies and strategies, e.g. assistive technologies, designed for learners' in need of special support (e.g. learners with physical or mental constraints; learners with learning disorders).
- Consider and respond to potential accessibility issues when selecting, modifying or creating digital resources and to provide alternative or compensatory tools or approaches for learners with special needs.
- Use design principles for increasing accessibility for the resources and digital environments used in teaching.
- Continuously monitor and reflect on the suitability of the measures implemented to improve accessibility and adapt strategies accordingly.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Decent enough to explore the basics, and the list of resources does have some useful links. Report this review
I'm finding that the modules are too short to give any more than a very brief introduction - only really suitable for people who are at a very basic level. Although the links at the bottom are potentially much more useful. Report this review
Login or signup to earn this badge!
This badge recognises that you are exploring how to ensure that all learners can make the best use of digital technology possible.