Immersing learners in Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality (VR) is a wholly manufactured experience. Learners can use mobile devices, often worn (so as to respond to head movements), to see and interact with a visual depiction of a place, person or object.
The location of the learner is not material to the experience because it is divorced wholly from needing to be in a real place or time.
Virtual Reality allows students to become immersed in a synthetic world, where all the senses can be used to recreate as close to an authentic experience as possible.
This module will help you learn about the benefits and ways of using virtual reality with your learners.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• describe and explain the capabilities of VR to create realistic visual learning experiences
• assess the potential for VR to enhance your own teaching practice.
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the DTPF component - B1a : Teaching and learning resources
- Visualise and explain new concepts in a motivating and engaging way using digital technologies e.g. by using animations or videos.
- Use motivating and engaging activities (e.g. games and quizzes) in digital learning environments.
- Put learners' active uses of digital technologies central to the teaching process.
- Allow learners actively to engage with subject matter using digital technologies, e.g. using different senses, manipulating virtual objects, varying the problem set up to enquire into its structure, etc.
- Promote active learning in a given learning context or for a specific learning objective using appropriate digital technologies.
- Reflect on how suitable the different digital technologies used are in increasing learners' active learning, and to adapt strategies and choices accordingly.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Thought the module presented clearly the TLA opportunities offered by VR and gave some good examples on the type of learning activities that could be delivered. Report this review
Very interesting and of course useful...but the hardware is rather beyond most budgets. Report this review
Login or signup to earn this badge!
This badge recognises your progress in understanding how emerging technologies such as VR and AR can be used to bring topics to life and engage your learners.