EdTech: Engaging learners using augmented reality
Augmented Reality (AR) superimposes either graphics, visual presentations or text as an overlay on a given view, looked at through a mobile device like a smartphone or tablet.
Location is important for AR and where the device being used and what it is pointing at because AR is rooted in the real world. Using augmented reality is often initiated by using a QR code.
AR provides an opportunity for a learner to look at a painting or building, object or street etc. through a device and then hear or see supplementary information describing or providing information on what is being looked at as long as something has been added.
What is seen or heard as the overlay is the information that is being augmented onto the physical object or place.
This module will help you learn about the benefits and ways of using augmented reality with your learners.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• assess the potential for AR to enhance your own teaching practice
• employ QR codes to construct effective learning activities.
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the EdTech component - B1a : Using teaching and learning resources with learners
- Visualise and explain new concepts in a motivating and engaging way using digital technologies e.g. by using animations or videos.
- Use motivating and engaging activities (e.g. games and quizzes) in digital learning environments.
- Put learners' active uses of digital technologies central to the teaching process.
- Allow learners actively to engage with subject matter using digital technologies, e.g. using different senses, manipulating virtual objects, varying the problem set up to enquire into its structure, etc.
- Promote active learning in a given learning context or for a specific learning objective using appropriate digital technologies.
- Reflect on how suitable the different digital technologies used are in increasing learners' active learning, and to adapt strategies and choices accordingly.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Excellent links and some good examples in the video.
Very quick to complete, giving a basic introduction. The resource links are probably the most useful asset of this module.
It would be enhanced with short videos of the platforms that exist and how greater details on how this can be applied.
Simple and straight-forward introduction to AR with some examples that can be adapted and applied in your own context.
interesting module, introducing technologies that I have not considered. Easily explained and liked the further resource links at the end.
The content is interesting and presented well, however it is not clear that you have to select the 'feedback' button to complete the module and earn your badge.
Good way of getting students to revise especially for assessments but also for them to remember what they have done in lesson, which will help them when they start another lesson on the subject matter.
It introduces a useful tool for an interactive approach to learning using a smartphone or tablet.
A useful introduction to what AR is and potential uses in the classroom.
Thoroughly enjoyed this module. It captures well the potential of AR with some practical examples of how AR can be applied in various learning contexts.
Great ideas to use
Login or signup to earn this badge!
This badge recognises your progress in understanding how emerging technologies such as VR and AR can be used to bring topics to life and engage your learners.