Benefits of mobile-friendly learning
This module will look at what is meant by mobile learning. It will illustrate some of the teaching and learning opportunities that mobile phones, tablets, and small laptops can bring.
Ownership of smart devices amongst the under-50s in the UK is nearing 100%, with increasing use for a widening range of domestic, personal and social activities.
Their use for formal learning is nowhere near as common. We will look at some of the practical ways in which we can exploit the functionality of mobile devices.
Mobile friendly learning Pt 1
At the end of this module you will be able to:
• explain what is meant by the term mobile learning
• identify the range of functions that mobile devices offer
• describe how mobile devices can enhance learning
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the DTPF component - B1a : Using teaching and learning resources with learners
- Visualise and explain new concepts in a motivating and engaging way using digital technologies e.g. by using animations or videos.
- Use motivating and engaging activities (e.g. games and quizzes) in digital learning environments.
- Put learners' active uses of digital technologies central to the teaching process.
- Allow learners actively to engage with subject matter using digital technologies, e.g. using different senses, manipulating virtual objects, varying the problem set up to enquire into its structure, etc.
- Promote active learning in a given learning context or for a specific learning objective using appropriate digital technologies.
- Reflect on how suitable the different digital technologies used are in increasing learners' active learning, and to adapt strategies and choices accordingly.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
I think the positive promotion of mobile phones as a learning resource in the classroom is vital. They aren't going away anytime soon and if we can turn them into a force for good in learning, it makes management of them a little easier! Report this review
Very poor Report this review
I have used photographs with SEN students to record learning and trips. I have not thought of trying videos or the tablet and GPS. I need to put some thought in as to how I could use more technology with English students, maybe for following instructions. Report this review
Login or signup to earn this badge!
What is mobile learning and how can you use it to improve teaching and learning? This badge recognises that you understand the opportunities and pitfalls of incorporating mobile learning into your teaching.