Formative assessment using quizzes
Quizzes have long been recognised as a useful method to test learners' knowledge and check their understanding, but they offer more than that.
Their effectiveness lies in their ability to be accessed when learners want to check learning and can be repeated as often as leaners want, allowing both checks on current learning and iterative checks on progression.
Using quizzes in formative assessment
After completing this module you will be able to:
• use quizzes to improve your teaching and assessment practice
• use different question types and feedback options to create differentiated levels of challenge
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the DTPF component - E1a : Assessment and feedback with peer feedback illustrations
- Use digital assessment tools to monitor the learning process and obtain information on learners' progress.
- Use digital technologies to enhance formative assessment strategies, e.g. using classroom response systems, quizzes, games.
- Use digital technologies to enhance formative and summative assessment in tests, e.g. through computer-based tests, implementing audio or video (e.g. in language learning), using simulations or subject-specific digital technologies as test environments.
- Use digital technologies to scaffold learners' assignments and their assessment, e.g. through ePortfolios.
- Use a variety of digital and non-digital assessment formats and be aware of their benefits and drawbacks.
- Critically reflect on the appropriateness of digital assessment approaches and adapt strategies accordingly.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Some useful prompts and reminders on quizzes, and the links given are good. It would be nicer to have more in the way of additional resources as downloadable content. Report this review
Login or signup to earn this badge!
There are lots of digital tools to assist with learner assessment. This badge recognises that you have the level of knowledge to adopt new approaches that will benefit your learners.