Connecting with communities of practice for PLD
Whenever people with a common interest have an identified online place, forum or method to connect with peers and discuss issues of common interest, we can say that a community of practice exists.
This module explores where communities for supporting online practice might be found and how you might check it is the right one for you.
This module will help you connect with communities of practice for Professional Learning and Development (PLD).
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• carry out an ordered search for relevant online professional communities of practice
• identify some simple guidelines to make your engagement with online communities more effective.
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the DTPF component - G2 : Progression and CPD: strategies to develop digital skills and pedagogy
- Use online resources or social media to identify suitable training and professional development opportunities.
- Use online resources or social media to update one's subject-specific competences.
- Use online resources or social media to learn about new teaching methods and strategies.
- Use online resources or social media to search for and identify digital resources which support professional development.
- Use the exchange in digital professional communities as a source of professional development.
- Use online training opportunities, e.g. video tutorials, MOOCs, webinars etc.
- Use digital technologies and environments to provide training opportunities for colleagues and peers.
- Use professional collaborative networks as a source for one's own professional development.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Some good points--would've been better to have some links or lists of subject areas/specialist forums. Rather resource light. Report this review
Being a member of various networks such as TES, LinkedIn, ATS Facebook groups, Twitter and others has had a great impact on my current practice. It's great to learn from each other, share experiences and ideas and to recognize that we are a part of a larger community of educators whose aim is to support our learners every way we can. Report this review
Informing me to join Facebook is so antiquated I expect to see it on Sunday afternoon BBC TV Report this review
Login or signup to earn this badge!
There are many digital tools that can help you plan and manage your PLD. These badges look at digital approaches to recording and developing your personal learning and training. This is the Adopting stage, which recognises you have started adopting the tools and using them for your own development journey.