EdTech: Supporting and guiding learners with a VLE
A Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) attempts to replicate in an online space everything learners might want to do and what a tutor might want to share as part of a programme of study. Learners are 'enrolled' to the course area. It contains a library, assignment and announcements areas.
When designed and run well, learning can be more efficient, engaging and fun. For this reason, it is important that teachers practice their craft in good learning design.
If you want to explore VLE basics, complete the module Making VLEs more inspirational first.
This module will help you to strategically approach supporting and guiding your learners using a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• recognise that a VLE is more than a repository of subject information, resources and assignments
• identify opportunities for building generic course and organisation-wide resources and frameworks into a VLE to support learners and learning
• devise an approach to embedding digital media and artefacts into a VLE to deliver specific advice and guidance for course elements and assignments.
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the EdTech component - B3a : Teaching context: blended learning
- Set up learning activities in digital environments, having identified learners' needs for guidance and catering for them.
- Interact with learners in digital environments.
- Digitally monitor learner behaviour and offer guidance when needed.
- Use digital technologies to remotely monitor learner progress and intervene when needed, while allowing for self-regulation.
- Experiment with and develop new forms and formats for offering guidance and support, using digital technologies.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Good ideas for enhancing a VLE in the module - using video on the VLE is not something that is currently done here
I enjoyed learning this module. Easy to understand.
Good links in the resources part.
Login or signup to earn this badge!
Not all organisations have a VLE but if you do have one, it really is important to understand how to make best use of it. This is the Leading stage, which recognises you have a high level of knowledge in this area and can start to guide and support peers.