Embedding content into VLEs to improve learning
Rather than faithfully represent an online version of a standard course, Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs) enable you to add extra features and offer learners:
- flexibility in engaging with learning material,
- an opportunity to repeat a learning activity for reinforcement, and
- a social connection to other learners and tutors for advice and support.
You can improve your learners’ outcomes and the quality of their engagement and experience by including links in your VLE content to relevant, high-quality materials and resources accessible on the web.
This module will show you the benefits of embedding digital content into virtual learning environments.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• enumerate the principal benefits of embedding digital content into virtual learning environments
• identify a range of pre-existing resources that can be embedded into a VLE to enrich and complement learning materials.
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the DTPF component - B1a : Teaching and learning resources
- Visualise and explain new concepts in a motivating and engaging way using digital technologies e.g. by using animations or videos.
- Use motivating and engaging activities (e.g. games and quizzes) in digital learning environments.
- Put learners' active uses of digital technologies central to the teaching process.
- Allow learners actively to engage with subject matter using digital technologies, e.g. using different senses, manipulating virtual objects, varying the problem set up to enquire into its structure, etc.
- Promote active learning in a given learning context or for a specific learning objective using appropriate digital technologies.
- Reflect on how suitable the different digital technologies used are in increasing learners' active learning, and to adapt strategies and choices accordingly.
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
A really good little introduction, but could do with something that says why it's a good idea to add interactive content and why a document store is not desirable. Report this review
Simple and effective ideas---the key I think is to keep things interactive and collaborative, otherwise the 'document dump/folders and sub-folders' trap is too easy to fall into for all. Report this review
I feel that this was extremely basic . The module did not make any reference to the importance of having the rights to add others content to the VLE. Report this review
This unit highlights the significance of VLE. Embedding high quality interactive content to our lessons and providing our students with resources they can use in their own time outside lessons not only extends their learning hours but makes the subject more enjoyable and fun. Also, this way we are equipping our students with technical and problem-solving skills they need in their personal and their work lives. Report this review
A good, short little introduction. Doesn't bombard you with in depth technical information which is important if you are just entering this field. Report this review
Login or signup to earn this badge!
Not all organisations have a VLE but if you do have one, it really is important to understand how to make best use of it. This badge looks at ways to help you make the most of your organisations VLE.