The Flipped Classroom
Homework traditionally follows classwork: a teacher introduces the subject matter then homework reinforces the learning.
Now that facts and information are just a quick search away, learners need to know more than ever how to evaluate, understand and apply information.
Flipped learning reverses the traditional order so that time out of class is used to acquire knowledge and activity in class is directed to understanding and extending it, exploring the issues, difficulties and applications.
This module looks at how best to make use of this in our professional practice with learners.
This module will help you to incorporate the flipped classroom approach into your teaching practice.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• select appropriate digital tools to support a flipped classroom
• identify areas of the curriculum where a flipped classroom approach could improve the learner experience
• critically assess the value of the flipped classroom approach.
Digital Teaching Professional Framework
This module covers the DTPF component - B2 : Teaching context: face-to-face
- Use learning environment technologies to support teaching, e.g. electronic whiteboards, mobile devices.
- Structure sessions so that different (practitioner-led and learner-led) digital activities jointly reinforce the learning objective.
- Structure and manage content, collaboration and interaction in a digital environment.
- Consider how practitioner-led digital interventions can best support the learning objective.
- Reflect on the effectiveness and appropriateness of the digital teaching strategies chosen and flexibly adjust methods and strategies.
- Experiment with and develop new formats and teaching methods (e.g. flipped classroom).
You may also be interested in
Taking note of your feedbackWe greatly appreciate the time taken to provide us with feedback on each module. We regularly review all the feedback provided and use it to inform the development of new modules. Subject to funds being available and other constraints, we will amend existing modules where feedback shows this is required.
Great module. Very simple to understand and work through and it helps you realise how easy and beneficial it is to have a flipped learning model. It will save teachers so much time and allow them to focus on learning in the classroom. Report this review
Good, well formed explanations with an appropriate and direct assessment. Unlike other modules here, the answer wasn't vague and subjective. I'd love to see more scenarios explored in assessment to get ideas flowing. Report this review
I've been advocating the use of the flipped classroom model with tutors for quite some time and I really like how concise and informative the module is. I will be recommending this (and the further resources) in our tutor meetings. Report this review
Useful module on the basics of flipped learning for those new to the concept, or as a refresher for those who have some experience using the method. Bite size module useful for busy practitioners to up skill without having to commit to long units that do not fit within busy timetables. Unlike the collaborative modules I has issues with the drag and drop exercise on iPad, however worked ok on laptop. Report this review
Short and sweet- with useful resources too. Easy to apply I think in almost any setting, and I'll certainly give it a go. Report this review
Interesting topic and relevant in my industry Report this review
A concise explanation of Flipped Learning which helps me to recognise the benefits and explain more about how I can adopt this method of teaching and share it with my colleagues. Report this review
The Flipped Classroom- A very useful module that categorises tasks/activities that are appropriate for flipped learning. This is vital to scaffold learning effectively and challenge students appropriately. Report this review
Login or signup to earn this badge!
The Digital Practice badges look at tools and approaches that can improve learning. This badge recognises that you have started sharing tools and approaches and guiding your peers.